Sunday, December 8, 2013

Letters from Grandpa 3 April 1916

D. Quilici Brothers
Wholesale and Retail Dealers in
General Merchandise
Wells, Nevada

Miss Allene S. Kelley,
Modesto,
California

At the top of the first page of this letter was an ink blot and this note: "What do you say when you've finished a letter and then throw a drop of ink like [arrow to the blot] this on the first page? Well that's what I said."-ed.

Thank God, Dearest, I was miles away when you wrote the letter I received this morning. Distance may lend enchantment but it often acts as shelter from explosions, etc. and now I'm safe and unharmed after the "show" you put on when the boys and I disappointed you.

Say dear, if you can growl and show your teeth as plainly in reality as you did in this letter you must be a terror. If you think I didn't laugh when I read that letter this morning Allene, you're "sure" fooled. And I smile (and want to laugh out loud) every time I think about it. I don't blame you a bit (d--n the grease or whatever it is on this paper!) for exploding in a case of this kind.

When a fellow's got all plans made for a good time and something turns up to shoot said plans all to pieces it's sufficient grounds for most any kind of an outburst. ~~~But the letter I didn't write wasn't because I was peeved at your lengthy silence. "Twas the day we left Elko and came up here and I was busy at that end getting packed up etc. and at this end unloading and so forth, so come out of it dear and calm down and let's be nice and not scold nor anything anymore. What do you say, huh?

Always yours,
Frank
April 3d, 1916

No comments:

Post a Comment