Saturday, May 12, 2012

Letters from Grandpa 20 March 1916

The Brown Hotel
Daniel Morrison, Prop.
Eureka, Nevada

Miss Allene S. Kelley,
Modesto,
California

Allene Dearest:- All day yesterday the wind blew a gale and just before I started to bed I noticed it had banked up the clouds on all sides so I wasn't surprised when I "came to" this morning and found it trying to wash out my room by forcing rain drops in thru' the open window! Maybe the Lord forgot that Saturday night just passed and tried to give me the bath I didn't need. If it doesn't let up pretty soon it will turn into snow, as these storms always do, and then that'll put the roads out of commission for another few weeks,--and just when they were getting almost passable.

Of course Elko has warm weather dear--and yes, it does get very warm there. An even hundred in the shade is the hottest I ever saw it there tho'. But Elko is high and dry,- 5,000 feet above sea level,- so there is little or no humidity and the air is always nice and cool just after the sun goes down,-and if you don't like hot weather you can wait till after sunset.


I just noticed in your letter that buried is spelled with one r and I remember of telling you our office at Midas was burried under the snow (with two r's.)  But now we are even dear, because w-i-e-r-d is a weird way to spell weird. Maybe tho you've discovered a lot of misspelling in my letters but didn't say anything about it~~Have you?

In my letter of yesterday dear, I think I said it all so I'm compelled to leave you now and wait for the inspirations tomorrow's mail will bring.

With all my love dearest,
I'm always yours
Frank

Eureka, Nevada,
Monday, March 20th, 1916.

No comments:

Post a Comment