Sunday, May 15, 2011

Letters from Grandpa 3 February 1916

Box 162
Elko, Nevada

Miss Allene S. Kelley
Modesto
California

My Dearest Little Girlie has got me tongue-tied, or has given me "writer's cramp," or else the receipt of this mornings letter with the pictures has acted as an anaesthetic and as far as external appearances go I'm in an absolute comma [sic]. My mind and tho'ts tho' dear, are working overtime. When I read your letter there are about a million things I want to say and then when I look at your pictures I'm speechless. I don't know whether it's fright (like "buck-ague" or "stage fright") or admiration.

Anyhow dear the pictures are great,~especially the one of you in the sweater. I love that characteristic carelessness it portrays. You do look "kind-a" natural in the other one of you standing but I don't like it nearly as well as the first. And the one of you sitting~~well I don't know,~ Might have tho't it fine if I hadn't seen the others. The one of aunt Helene, gee!! It's a funny one alright. She stood too close to the camera and it's distorted~made her too big in the middle.

Most wonderfullest, dear that you should have baked and "maked" and all those other things about cookies and almonds~ and all by yourself, too! I am so surprise-ed!! <--Exclamation points. And I'll take your word for their quality.

Now I suppose I'm to guess which was the stronger attraction, "The Beloved Vagabond" or the "Russian Composers." Oh, I'll take the single tramp.~ The movies are bound to be the winners.

Gee dear, but I like that picture of you in the sweater, and love the original.

Frank
Feby. 3,-1916.

1 comment:

  1. These letters are fabulous!! And the fact that you have so many - wow!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete