Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Letters from Grandpa 9 March 1916

The International Hotel
Austin, Nevada

Miss Allene S. Kelley,
Modesto,
California

Dearest Mine: Your aunt hasn't got a thing on me at all. I don't know what I did to her that she should take such a liking to me nor do I know what she did to me that made me like her so well. Anyhow it's apparently a mutual admiration which I shall do all in my power to maintain. And if her message of love hadn't accompanied the remark that she didn't write because she was afraid the reading of her letter would take up too much of my valuable time, I'd have taken it to heart and been pretty sore. And I'm very grateful to both her and your grandmother for their kind message. Tell them fair exchange is no robbery and I reciprocate, eye for eye, dollar for dollar,~love for love.

I should like to meet your grandmother dear, I'd like to see "you all," but time is such a slow traveler when you're anticipating something pleasant,-and oh, how it flies at other times!~~This is going to be a long summer for me dear, but I'm hot going to let any grass grow under my pedal extremities~~or other parts of my anatomy. We've decided it would be greatly to our advantage to stay on the road all summer. By this scheme we are getting acquainted with the country and people, advertising our work with practical demonstrations and reaping an immediate pecuniary harvest, all of which, especially the last, are very necessary. When winter approaches we will be all fixed (I hope) so we can go right into our office home.


Your letters of yesterday and today were brief dear but didn't I tell you once before that it was unnecessary to apologize for that? "Short but sweet" is a fitting remark, or comment, on them, and I love 'em short or long.

Ever yours
Frank

Austin, Nevada,
March 9th, 1916
--------------------
Address next to Elko
--------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment