Sunday, April 3, 2011

Letters from Grandpa 12 January 1916

Box 162
Elko, Nevada

Miss Allene S. Kelley,
1020-15th St.,
Modesto,
California

Dearest Mine:~
Today has been a tough one, or a good one,~whichever way you choose to look at it. Dr. Whitesides and I have been as busy as cranberry merchants since early morn and even now~6:30 P.M.~ I have about two hours' more work ahead of me before I go to bed~but after I've had my little talk with you dear.

Gee but it's really lots of fun to be real busy, when you know you are profiting by it. Looks like we would [sic] be here several days longer. Expected to stay three and have put in that much time already. ~"Business is Good"~

Did the one day make you feel the whole year older, dear? Gosh, I wish I could have been there that day, and Monday, Tuesday, and today besides. It "sure" makes me lonesome to hear all those things, but I'll have to stand it for awhile.

Yes, they were horrid for giving you that little tin Elk and especially so by putting that sign on him. Still it was good, wasn't it? Somebody must have been telling tales out of school, huh? Well the picture will be there tonight or tomorrow and you can show 'em what one Elk from Elko Nevada looks like.

Am going to leave you now, dear, and start on that two hours' job. Maybe a start will be all there is to it.

Love dearest from your Elk from Elko,

Frank
~~~~
Wednesday, January 12th, 1916
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Battle Mountain, Nevada
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment